Monday, October 19, 2009

Alice Sanderson


Hello there! I know I initiated the writing of these personal bios, but now I'm at a loss for what to tell you myself! To start, some things I love in life: breakfast burritos, cowboy boots, stout beers, straw hats, bright colors, coconut milk, avocados, bicycles and people who love bicycles, attempting to surf and getting beaten up by the ocean.

Family/living situation: Born and raised in South Dakota, and my family is big on pointing out that we are 4th generation Norwegian Lutheran S.Dakotans. (Although I'm not actually Lutheran anyway). I live in the Lyndale/Lake area of Uptown with my roommate Amy, who is studying Epidemiology. She and I have been friends since we were 7, and it's really nice/hilarious to be living with someone who has known you for that long. I can't sneak anything past her! She knows all my bad habits (which I won't get in to for your sake). I have no fiance nor children, although I am hopeFULLY (as opposed to hopelessly, get it?) in love with someone who lives in California. I have one older brother, who also just moved back to Minneapolis.

Past work: I have wanted to do many things over what I like to call my “extended adolescence”, the first being social work/nonprofit social services. However I worked in a medically fragile group home for a couple of years, during and after college, and that is where I really became inspired to go into nursing. I also put my time in working as a CNA in a hospital, which was also quite enjoyable. When I initially learned I'd been put on the waitlist for this program, I packed my bags and headed to California. I wasn't waitin' around for anyone! Whoops. But I did get to spend a wonderful 6 months living somewhere OTHER than the midwest, and for this I am thankful. Ok, back on track!

Nursing career interests: Rather than saying I have no idea what I want to do with nursing, I see it as I am completely OPEN to finding my niche after gaining experience in our clinicals and beyond. Although I do know I love working with older adults, I enjoy writing and research, I love to travel and hope to work internationally at some point in time, and I place a lot of value in public/community health efforts. The rest is still to be discovered!

Hobbies: Making homemade pizzas, baking cookies, cooking in general, yoga, scuba diving, ballet, dancing in general, reading (I love fiction), painting and making crafts – especially cards for people.

Places traveled: I spent an informative year in college studying in rural Ecuador, and since went back to visit other areas of South America (Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina). A year or two ago I traveled through Eastern European countries. I also spent a few weeks traveling in Japan a few years ago.

Phew, that's it! Thanks for reading. I am really looking forward to getting to know all of you better this year.5, and I am excited about the book club and social events since I have few familial ties here. Dinner parties? Winter camping? Or yes, study groups. But I'll at least try to spice up a study group by bringing cookies for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment